No matter what age you are, figuring out your employment can be stressful if you don’t know where to start. Attending a careers fair is a great way of meeting face to face with employers and discovering new opportunities within a chosen industry or multiple sectors, plus employers can find extraordinary talent too. Network well and who knows what may come your way?
What is the purpose of a careers fair?
The aim of a careers fair is to help job seekers and employers network. These kinds of events are ideal for those unsure of their next step, wanting a career change or wanting to find out more about a particular industry. Attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and find out more about their options such as apprenticeships, vacancies and graduate programmes.
For employers, being present at a careers fair means you can attract individuals who are attracted to your business, recruit emerging talent and create a positive brand profile. You may also have the opportunity to host talks and seminars where you can showcase what makes your business amazing.
What happens at the fair?
In-person career fairs will be attended by hundreds of employers and even more candidates. Each employer will have its own stall where visitors can meet with current employees and representatives to discover the who, what, where, why and how of the business. It’s your opportunity to meet with employers and get your name out there. You can also pick up information packs along the way, attending talks, hand out your CV and potentially leave with an interviewed lined up!
Who can attend a careers fair?
The great thing about recruitment events such as careers fair is that everyone is welcome. As there are so many different employers attending, there are opportunities for all ages and levels of experience. Think about attending if:
● You are thinking about your next step following full-time education.
● You are considering a career change and would like more information.
● You would like to start an apprenticeship.
● You have recently graduated and are looking to start your career.
What should you do to prepare?
To get the most out of the event you should do a little preparation so you’re ready to go!
● Get all of your marketing materials ready such as leaflets, information packs and business cards.
● Prepare answers to frequently asked questions.
● Plan your route so you can arrive on time and get set up.
● Polish up your CV and LinkedIn profile - it may be a good idea to connect with people beforehand.
● Make a list of the stands and employers you are most interested in visiting.
● Plan your elevator pitch including who you are, what your skills are, and what your career goal is.
● Think about the questions that might be asked by employers.
The UK Careers Fair is the Leading Provider of Recruitment Events in the United Kingdom. Welcoming job seekers aged 16-65, you can join hundreds of candidates during our in-person and virtual events. Discover a career path that suits you. Find out more today.