In a world where the job market is becoming increasingly competitive, wanting to know how to ask about job security in an interview is only fair. These are the types of questions that will give you insights into both the role and the organisation.
However, asking the wrong questions can do more damage than good.
As a result, we've compiled a list of questions you can ask a potential employer to get a sense of your potential new role's security.
Is It Professional To Ask Questions Pertaining To Job Security?
It depends on how you ask such questions.
Here is a list of things you should avoid:
● Don’t ask questions in a negative way
● Do not hint that you may only be temporarily interested in the role
● Do not appear insecure when asking the questions
How To Ask About Job Security In An Interview
There are so many ways to ask about job security in an interview in a professional manner, but here are just a few examples:
1. What type of person usually succeeds in this role? And what kind of skills do they have?
Asking this question will give you an understanding of whether you are the right person for the role.
Sometimes it is easy to misunderstand job descriptions, so asking this question will help you get clarification and get a sense of whether your position in that job will be secure.
● Is the job what you expected?
● Will you fit into their team culture?
● Do you currently possess the right skills to succeed?
2. Do you offer training opportunities?
If you are someone who is keen on moving up the career ladder, training opportunities can really help you level up. Asking this question will allow you to evaluate whether the company is a place where you would be able to stay long-term.
Training opportunities can also indicate stable job security.
3. What has been your staff turnover in the last three years?
This will highlight whether or not the company values their employees as individuals rather than seeing them as replaceable.
4. What do you think your main competitors have been able to accomplish over the past three years that you haven't been able to?
This is an excellent question that will enable you to understand whether the company has goals and a long-term vision. The more goals and accomplishments they have, the better the opportunities for their employees and the more secure the job will be!
5. What steps have you taken to lower your risk and reposition your product in the market?
This will demonstrate how the company is preparing for any future setbacks.
It reveals how forward-thinking and adaptable the company is as well as whether they have learned new and better techniques to keep the business safe.
It is your right to know whether the role is exactly what you are looking for and whether the company is a safe place for you in the long run. Asking about job security in an interview is not that challenging when you have the right questions ready.
Do your research and practise at home to make sure you are 100% ready for your interview day!